[plug] Let the flamewar begin

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Nov 5 14:40:46 WST 2001

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:09, skribe wrote:
> We have a new poll on the web site:
>
> What is your favourite web browser?
>
> Remember to add a comment telling us why your preferred browser runs rings
> around all the others, preferably by pointing out all their flaws and
> inconsistencies. =)

Uh, I'll bite. ^_^

They all have their problems, that's for sure, and I haven't found one that
"runs rings", but I spend most of my time using Konqueror (part of KDE
2.2.1). NS4.x is prehistoric in its support of HTML & related techs, Opera is
a step ahead, but only just, NS6/Mozilla is very cool, but still has a few
issues (and isn't Anti-aliased on my system). And IE, funnily enough, doesn't
run under Linux (and vmware is bloody slow).

Konqueror's Pros (not in order):
  - AA fonts!
  - Good Cookie-management system
  - Good CSS/DHTML support (and other rendering/layout)
  - Actually easier to get some CSS/DHTML stuff working than NS/IE,
content-creation-wise

Konqueror's Cons:
  - Still crashes occasionally
  - Problems rendering form elements when dynamically resizing (scrolling
around fixes it, so it's not a show-stopper)
  - Not NS/IE, so some problems with how other sites implement DHTML/JS (ie;
low qty of specific support from content developers)

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :