[plug] old binaries

Rob Dunne robd at anville.wa.cmis.CSIRO.AU
Tue Nov 6 11:16:31 WST 2001

Dear Anthony,

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima writes:
 > Sorry if I caused undue confusion.

Far from causing confusion -- you have spread enlightenment

 > <tip>
 > ldd file will tell you what (if any) libraries an app needs.
thanks -- yes it is neater than strings

 > Your problem is beacse your old app is using an old libary (I'm sure at the
 > time it was built lib5 was the latest/greatest tho).
 >
 > RedHat 4.X only knew about libc5 you HAD to install it.
 > RedHat 5.X installed the compat-lib stuff by default (to ease the transition).
 > RedHat 6.X installed it if you ticked the devel box during the install.
 > RedHat 7.X only installs it only if you say tick the "libc-5" support.

thanks -- I either didnt see the "libc-5" support box or didnt understand
what it meant. Now it makes more sense
							bye
							rob

--
 Rob Dunne         Fax: +61 8 9333 6121     Tel: +61 8 9333 6178
 CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences
 http://matilda.vu.edu.au/~dunne  Email: Robert.Dunne at cmis.csiro.au

        Java has certainly revolutionized marketing and litigation.