[plug] DebNewbie Q?

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Nov 7 09:09:13 WST 2001

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, sol wrote:

> Looks like the same problem. Here's the log:
>
> sol at debian:~$ su -
> Password:
> debian:~# su - postgres
> postgres at debian:~$ createuser -P sol
> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> ERROR:mdopen: couldn't open /var/lib/postgres/data/pg_shadow: Permission
> denied
>
> (Is the above what you meant by capturing the command?) Permissions for
> this file are set to 600. This is all very strange.

Perfect.
Can you do a dpkg --get-selections | grep postgres

So we can see what [postgres] packages are on the box.
You did install it from .debs right ??
You may have said before, what version of debian and postgres are we looking
at ???

The perms on the file look right.
Can you try:
cd /var/lib/postgres/ && ls -laR