[plug] smb

Paul Dean paul at canningcollege.wa.edu.au
Wed Nov 14 09:49:19 WST 2001

Hya Russ,

At 05:25 PM 13/11/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm using smb to share drives on a linux machine
>(suse7.2). From win2000 The drive can be read but not
>written: "Access is denied"

mmmm

>smb.conf
>[backup]
>    comment = Public Stuff
>    path = /smb_mounts/backup
>    public = yes
>    writable = yes
>    printable = no
>
>[linux2]
>    comment = Public Stuff
>    path = /linux2
>    public = yes
>    writable = yes
>    printable = no
>
>So I assume smb is working? Maybe it is the mount of
>the drive in fstab?

Assume??? don't assume, go check and make sure is my suggestion. You can
use `testparm` to check your config file and then try connecting or viewing
the shares via `smbclient`, if you can do all this then goto the next step
and have a look at the mounts.

>/dev/hdb1  /smb_mounts/backup  vfat  defaults   1   2
>/dev/hdb2  /linux2             ext2  defaults   1   2

Being a smb share you could change that to read
`/dev/hdb1  /smb_mounts/backup  smbfs defaults 1 2` or test it out first
with `mount -t smbfs /dev/hdb1 /smb_mounts/backup` or use `smbmount`

>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks
>russ

>Find the one for you at Yahoo! Personals
>http://personals.yahoo.com

Paul...

/***** Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a
mistake when you make it again.
         -- Franklin P. Jones *****/

/*****All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
             -- Unknown*****/

/* How smart are Computers? They seem to need instructions all the time...
         -- Me */