[plug] Uni Course - UWA or Curtin?

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 16 06:22:07 WST 2001

On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 17:36, Andrew Simmonds wrote:
> Okay, I was wondering what people here reccommend that have studied or
> are currently studing these courses.
> Also what degree of integration/exposure do these courses have with
> linux and which would be most helpful to get a good job?
>
> I'm basically looking at the following courses:
> Curtin Computer Science
> Curtin Software Engineering
> UWA Computer Science
> UWA Software Engineering

When I started I was doing a BE in Information Technology Engineering,
which was just EE with a couple of units dropped out and some computer
stuff stuck in there. Nowadays they've come up with "Software
Engineering" which has even more of the electrical engineering removed
(not sure how much, I think almost all.)

It's actually an enjoyable course at UWA - in the Engineering department
they have SGIs, Linux boxes and Windows machines plus other randomness,
and CS have a bunch of Mac and PCs, the PCs generally dual-booting
RedHat and Windows.

I found first year quite simple, but second year was fun. Of course,
then I went part time and started working for the uni full time... :-)

Grahame Bowland                      Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services   Phone: +61 8 9380 1175
The University of Western Australia    Fax: +61 8 9380 1109