[plug] Uni Course - UWA or Curtin?

Greg Mildenhall assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Fri Nov 16 09:23:54 WST 2001

On 15 Nov 2001, Andrew Simmonds wrote:
> Okay, I was wondering what people here reccommend that have studied or
> are currently studing these courses.

I have studied UWA CS, at a time when Soft Eng was a part of it.
My brother has done Curtin CS and Soft Eng, so I have idea of the diffs.

So I'm well qualified to refuse to answer until you tell us what you want
out of the course. :)

> Also what degree of integration/exposure do these courses have with
> linux

Both of these courses have heavy Linux "integration". During the last
three years of my four year (honours) degree, I would have used 90% Linux,
5% Unix, 4% Windows, 1% Mac. I don't think it is quite like that with the
other three degrees, but they certainly lack Linux exposure.

> and which would be most helpful to get a good job?

Depends how you define a good job. If you don't know how you'd define it,
I'd recommend UWA CS, as it is the most general of the four. But tell us
your idea of a good job so we can offer our advice.

-Greg