[plug] spam

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Fri Nov 16 14:45:59 WST 2001

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 01:44:05PM +0800, Daniel wrote:
> Hi Plug, from the little that I know -  running TMDA (Tagged Message
> Delivery Agent)
> http://software.libertine.org/tmda/ appears to be a great solution.

The problem I have with such systems is that if they become popular,
spammers will simply setup anti-TMDAs.  Since the TDMA simply requires a
reply to the given address to send the mail, a spammer need only use a
valid From: and then setup their own robot to reply to incoming mail (as
long as it looks like spam they sent out, of course).

I agree that while TMDA systems are in the minority, they are useful,
but if lots of ISPs pick them up, spammers will just get smarter.

The same thing has happened with "spam protected" email addresses on the
web.  Most spam webbots are now smart enough to try removing "NOSPAM" or
a few of the more common anti-spam parts from email addresses.

--
 Leon Blackwell                | Television - a medium. So called
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | because it is neither rare nor