[plug] Uni Course - UWA or Curtin?

Ryan ryan at prodigital.net.au
Sat Nov 17 18:27:23 WST 2001

Over the last few days lots of people wrote:
 > lots of stuff related to the topic

Considered the Business School at Curtin?  As long as you steer clear of
the eCommerce related streams (purely my opinion), you tend to get taught
useful stuff.  Almost every job you get will be in some way, shape, or form
supporting business, so it isn't a totally stupid idea  :)

If you do Commerce (IT + IS), you only have to do all the commercy stuff
for the first semester.  The courses are probably more analysis and design
focused, but I still ended up doing a heap of useful programming.  The fact
it is a Commerce degree is quite misleading, after the first semester you
wouldn't know it has anything to do with commerce ... and in the true
spirit of the stereotypical 'geek' it's pretty easy to pick the eccentric
IT staff from the standard Business School staff, so that surely has to be
reassuring :)

The business school has a habit of totally restructuring the IT courses
whenever they get a spare moment.  This had a few drawbacks for me as I had
to repeat credits for some lost units which no longer qualified for my
degree, but on the whole it kept things rather well up to date including
some industry projects.  I'm hoping they have fixed up the streams now so
people don't suffer like I did with worthless credits.

There is a whole lab of FreeBSD machines at Curtin in the business
school.  Downside is only 1 unit (network admin) is taught in
it.  Everything else, Perl, C/C++, Java, Oracle etc. are taught in an
X-term lab connected to an ancient dual processor SparcServer running SunOS
named 'isis' (they have a nice simple naming scheme there, the old devel
server they had that *was* isis is now called 'waswas')

Ryan