[plug] Laptops and sound

Gavin Rogers grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au
Sun Nov 18 19:31:46 WST 2001

Hi All.

I've got a frustrating problem with a Toshiba 440CDX and Linux.

To put it simply, the sound doesn't work! I've tried kernel 2.2.14 and
2.4.15 with the same results.

I'm quite sure I have the IRQ and DMA settings correct (copied from the
windows installation) and playing sound through the device works just fine
except when I try to record, I get the error:

kernel: Sound: DMA (input) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

The modules I've tried are the ad1848 and opl3sa2. (apparently the Yamaha
chipset in the laptop should work better with the opl3sa2 module - but the
same results all around). If it helps, opl3sa2 says the chipset is a
YMF715B or YMF719B. Confusingly, the chipset is supported by ALSA sound
drivers as well as OSS, but I don't know if one is any better than the
other...

I've searched the net and it seems that a lot of people have problems (and
many have this same problem, but no solutions) with these horrible windows
sound system cards... the best solutions so far have been to throw the
card out! Unfortunately, this card is too firmly attached to my laptop.

Any suggestions?

---
Gavin Rogers                    |    Amateur radio station VK6HGR
grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au    |    http://vk6hgr.echidna.id.au/