[plug] Java | strings vs char[] | PERL

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Tue Nov 20 13:21:18 WST 2001

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 12:39:27PM +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:
> I did read a Dr Dobb's article about Ruby, but it didn't look any better
> than Python to me.

I must admit I'm starting to get addicted to the indentation-is-REALLY-
significant notion. And damn but Python code is readable.

It feels a bit weird though - I keep thinking "how can this be such a
visually and syntactically 'clean' language and still be so powerful and
flexible?"

It must be cheating somewhere. :)

> With good use of map(), and list comprehensions you
> can write scribble just as well as with perl,

Probably misremembered extract from "Why Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal":

  "However, a true Real Programmer can write assembly in any language."

> but be arrogant about it too ;)

And isn't that the whole idea? :)

> Grahame Bowland                      Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au

Pete.