[plug] Java | strings vs char[] | PERL

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 20 12:39:27 WST 2001

On Tue, 2001-11-20 at 10:04, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 November 2001 09:57, Greg Mildenhall wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Leon Brooks wrote:
> >> He's probably using strings instead of character arrays, so not comparing
> >> apples with apples.
>
> > I thought you were too much of a perl-fiend to even consider that strings
> > might be manipulated in C++ or Java? Or do I misremember?
>
> You do. (-:
>
> My PERL is fairly rudimentary, just ask Matt. In the course of work I use a
> lot of C, BASH and PHP, all of which are either light on for or missing
> object orientation.
>
> I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more PERL. It can be fun to speak in scribble
> fluently. (-:
>
> I picked up enough Python to get by on in about 4 hours, and am considering
> becoming a Ruby programmer in the name of staying ahead of the fashion.

I did read a Dr Dobb's article about Ruby, but it didn't look any better
than Python to me. With good use of map(), and list comprehensions you
can write scribble just as well as with perl, but be arrogant about it
too ;)

Grahame Bowland                      Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services   Phone: +61 8 9380 1175
The University of Western Australia    Fax: +61 8 9380 1109