[plug] realplayer and via onboard audio

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 23 10:58:45 WST 2001

May I ask what video cards everyone's using? I'm one of the sound problem
people of earlier. I use to have a TNT2 M64 that was AGP and this caused
endless sound problems under both OSes. I found that in 'windoze', an old
nVidia driver from 99 worked fine without giving me any sound problems (an
old driver certainly gives stability problems though), but the newer drivers
wreaked aural havoc.

Eventually I got myself an ATI card and windoze was a case of "problem
solvered". Linux still has the odd sound problem here and there though, with
the first few seconds in RealPlayer (changing to Esound didn't help either,
see the audio settings part) and occasionally a constant crackle in XMMS
with visualisations, which is fixed by pausing and playing again.

All in all, I think that older VIA boards have a problem with AGP slots,
maybe an interrupted resource or something similar. I'm about to get an
upgrade soon and being an AMD person, could anyone recommend a a 'mobo' that
they know doesn't have sound problems?

seeya then! :)
anarchist tomato