[plug] Incoming Telnet Priority

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Nov 23 11:04:42 WST 2001

On Thursday 22 November 2001 23:48, Andrew Simmonds wrote:
> I occasionally have processes (mozilla hacking usually) that like to eat
> all my memory, swap and cpu power compleatly (malloc loop for example).
> Anyone know of a way to increase the priority of an incoming telnet
> connection so that I can log in and kill it?

Run your telnet daemon with nice -5

If you're coming in through inetd or xinetd instead of directly to a daemon,
you'll need to run that at a lower niceness (higher nastiness?) level and
nice 0 anything it spawns except telnet.

PS, don't use telnet, use ssh. AFAICT there's nothing that telnet can do that
ssh can't, and a heck of a lot that ssh can do (particularly in the area of
security, surprise) that telnet can't. A good ssh client for Windows, should
you need one, is PuTTY (search Google for it).

Cheers; Leon