[plug] Incoming Telnet Priority

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 23 11:35:05 WST 2001

There's actually an extensive list of things that telnet can do that ssh
seemingly cant starting with machines that have no ssh deamon (and
cannot have one installed), to checking ports such as mail, to company
firewalls that only allow telnet gateways that they can monitor (refer
to the Mandrake list for an extensive list of uses and reasons after the
recent flames by intollerant ssh evangelists!)  And telnet is used on a
lot of communications devices besides desktop computers.

This particularly applies to this intended use.  On my previous system,
which suffered from a similar problem at times (dissappeared after one
kernel upgrade, reason unknown!), ssh would ALWAYS fail to log in,
probably due to the extra overhead.  Telnet mostly succeeded, but was
dismally slow.  Wish I'd thought of this trick with nice at the time!

BillK