[plug] Incoming Telnet Priority

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Fri Nov 23 18:16:27 WST 2001

> There's actually an extensive list of things that telnet can do that ssh
> seemingly cant starting with machines that have no ssh deamon (and
> cannot have one installed), to checking ports such as mail, to company
> firewalls that only allow telnet gateways that they can monitor (refer
> to the Mandrake list for an extensive list of uses and reasons after the
> recent flames by intollerant ssh evangelists!)  And telnet is used on a
> lot of communications devices besides desktop computers.

The telnet client definitely has lots of usefulness left in it for all (and
more) reasons that you have mentioned above. Leaving/having a copy is a good
idea and can be very useful and I wouldn't blame anyone who did this
(especially a distributor). If you don't like it you don't have to
install/use it. I do think you need to be aware of the security risks that
you open yourself up to if you use telnet routinely to maintain boxes (i.e.
authenticate and send your password in the clear).

Anyone that still chooses to run a telnet daemon on a machine when ssh is an
obvious and better replacement deserves whatever they get.