[plug] Differences between xfree and windows

R.Barnes wpickett at iprimus.com.au
Mon Nov 26 22:14:57 WST 2001

I did feel that the windows GUI, on my systems, was crisper in response
to events and even when trying a windows look-alike theme on the KDE
desktop, it's not quite as sharp. Not that that is not my favoured look
by any means. My two main boxes are a Pentium3 in an AOpen ax63pro mb
with 512mb ram, a Voodoo3 2000 graphics card and an SB live sound card,
and a Celeron 700 in an Intel eea815 mb with 384mb or ram, a Hercules 3d
prophet 4500 graphics card and an sb pci128 sound card (both boxes duel
boot with WinME and Mandrake 8.0 with KDE desktop). I recently tried a
demo of the soldier of fortune game on the P3 system and found it so
slow that it took me a couple of minutes just to exit it. This probably
points to the driver question mentioned earlier I guess. I do have xfree
drivers for the voodoo3 which do make some difference, but none seem to
be available for the Hercules.