[plug] Differences between xfree and windows

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Mon Nov 26 21:07:33 WST 2001

You haven't really said which one you find better in terms of clarity, but
by the tone of your writing I would assume that you probably find windows
displays better than xfree. If I could give the following points for why
this might be and then you or others could add further comments to the
discussion.

1. Video card manufacturers write windows drivers first for their hardware
and then other OS's if they feel like it. (I have to justify this with the
fact that some of the top video card manufacturers are developing Linux
drivers in parallel with windows drivers, but this is the exception that
proves the rule).

2. XVIDTUNE is a great tool for tweaking the clarity of your video. Windows
does a lot of this sort of stuff automatically for you through the vendors
driver. One of Xfree's beauties is that you can do this for yourself.

3. You may not be running the truetype (XFB I think) server. Maybe someone
else on this list can shed some light but I heard that this is what you need
in order to get truetype fonts on a Linux desktop.

4. Anyone care to add some more ....

Michael Hunt