[plug] Using those Extra Keys under X.

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Nov 27 10:00:24 WST 2001

I've recently changed my keyboard, and the new one (a Dell Workstation one)
has some extra keys - you know, for Mail, Home, etc... It'd be nice to
actually make use of these under X (and specifically, under KDE 2.2.2).

Using xev to spy on X Events, I can see that these extra keys do produce a
keycode event, but the keysym is blank.

What's the easiest way to bind these extra keycodes to useful things? Can you
map them to other combos? (eg; Can you map buttonx to be the equivalent of
Ctrl+Alt+X?)

Similarly, can you map Mouse Button events (eg; extra buttons on the new
mice) to keypress combos?

Thanks...

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :