[plug] Dell Inspiron 8100 & linux

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Nov 27 11:10:47 WST 2001

Hi all
Just a quick question:
Anybody have any experience with running linux on a Dell Inspiron 8100?
I'm looking at buying one (ARRGGH my wallet is on fire) but don't want
to be saddled with a win2k only laptop. I need to be able to run win9x
network admin tools like those that came with our switch - but I don't
want to use windows for much else.

Main concerns are power management, X reliability/support, general
stability.

If anybody has better suggestions for a laptop with DV-out, DVD-ROM,
built in e/net & modem, respectable CPU DISK & RAM, I'll listen to that
too :-)