[plug] mgetty problems

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Nov 28 11:06:50 WST 2001

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Jason Nicholls wrote:

> G'day,
>
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 10:34:25AM +0800, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> > > LCP: timed out waiting sending Config-Requests
>
> > I had similar issue when I did this.   The way I got arround it was to
> > comment out the defaul line and add this one  ie:
> > #/AutoPPP/ -    a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login debug
> > /AutoPPP/ -     -   /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options.autoppp
> >
> > Then my  /etc/ppp/options.autoppp
> >
> > # cat /etc/ppp/options.autoppp
> > lock
> > asyncmap 0
>
> The line above is what fixes the problem but I'm not sure why, perhaps someone
> can explain ;) Sometimes we used to come across this problem with linux users
> connecting to our ISP. On RedHat the GUI ppp config tool had an
> option "Escape Control Characters" which actually set the option "asyncmap
> 00000000" for pppd and this fixed it.

Like I said for me it was the "name" line that fixed my problems.  The
presence (or absence) of the asyncmap option didn't change the errors I was
getting.

I'm not saying that the asyncmap option didn't help in your case BUT it wasn't
the problem for me.

It didn't (doesn't) make sense as name is auth related and LCP negaotiations are done
after auth but it needed to be there.

HoHum

Yours Tony.

/*