[plug] Freesco Dialip Problem

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Nov 28 16:42:39 WST 2001

> using an external Dynalink V1456VQE Modem, after Upgrading it to V90, I noticed that freesco was connecting to the phoneline, but not dialing the numbers,

*ick* freesco *ick* *blech*
Sorry I have to admin an OpenServer 505 box here at work and I _hate_
it. If ABI/IBCS ran the binaries, I'd switch in a moment. Unfortunately,
its the only modern (*ahem*) OS that supports Microsoft XENIX binaries
properly. ABI/IBCS claims to but won't execute - "couldn't execute
binary".

Ok, got that off my chest.

SCO has three alternatives for the 'net connection. You can use Morning
Star PPP, SCO PPP, or ppp over UUCP.
Due to old days limitations on uucp, SCO can support _either_ 2400 baud
or 56k, you have to edit a file somewhere to fix it. I can't remember
details unfortunately, but I think the info is on the SCO website.
We were going to use SCO for our gateway at work when I started, but its
fragile config scripts and lack of decent docs made me try out linux
instead.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I only touch our SCO server now when
forced to - usually to do /etc/init.d/lp stop ; /etc/init.d/lp start
because lpd has randomly died - again.