[plug] Open source DVD playback

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:42:24 WST 2001

No doubt a lot of you have heard/have been following the Linux DVD playback
situation for a while. For those two or three that haven't, Linux DVD
players have been using decss to playback encrypted DVDs and decss is on the
way to being declared VERY ILLEGAL.

This is just an idea of mine, but why don't the 'DVD standard people' (to
give 'em a technical term!) release a closed source, executable decryption
programme? What I mean here is that you simply get the programme itself, and
then base the player around it so that DVD secrets aren't released to the
world and we can resume making DVD players, even if they're only partly open
source (at least we could play any DVD without going into 'windoze').

Anyone else like this idea? Please point out all the flaws in my logic
though, as it could be a seriously useable idea (you never know!).

anarchist tomato