[plug] Open source DVD playback

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 5 19:27:22 WST 2001

>All of the usual problems associated with closed source software,
>coupled with the anti-competitive side-effects on the content market.

This is what has me confused. Everyone is mentioning the
anti-competitiveness of it all, does this mean that there are competing
decryption standards and formats for DVD video?

I assume this is what you mean or otherwise it would be like saying that a
browser released by the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) would have
anti-competitive side effects.

Otherwise if there is only one standard, which is released by the DVD
consortium, where's the 'anti-competition' (to give it a term)? If the
executable was released by THEM, which is FREE TO ALL and people can simply
use the executable as a framework for their player (no licensing at all),
what's bad about this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be stubborn, I simply don't quite see
what you mean.