[plug] Open source DVD playback

Greg Mildenhall assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Mon Oct 8 09:30:19 WST 2001

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, John Knight wrote:
> >All of the usual problems associated with closed source software,
> >coupled with the anti-competitive side-effects on the content market.
> This is what has me confused. Everyone is mentioning the
> anti-competitiveness of it all, does this mean that there are competing
> decryption standards and formats for DVD video?

No, it means there are no competing decryption standards and formats. :)
More to the point, there are no competing _implementations_ of the
standard. That has come about from anti-competitive practises.

> I assume this is what you mean or otherwise it would be like saying that a
> browser released by the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) would have
> anti-competitive side effects.

Huh? The W3C releases _standards_ all other parties are then _encouraged_
to implement software adhering to and interoperating via these standards.
(OK, so this may soon no longer be the case, given RAND and whatnot :< )
In other words, they are promoting competitive behaviour in the market.

> Otherwise if there is only one standard, which is released by the DVD
> consortium, where's the 'anti-competition' (to give it a term)?

The DVD consortium has devised a standard, then expressly prohibited the
(through force of law) implementation or even use of that standard by any
competing party. That is anticompetitive to a fault.

Yes, others are free to introduce their own standards, but it will get
them nowhere. Why? Because noone will buy a player unless there is content
for that player, and all the major studios have brought their content
oligopoly to bear in ensuring content is not released for other formats.
Now the DVD monopoly has ben established in this (anticompetitive) way,
they can then use the DVD monopoly to lock competing content and
distribution houses out of their game. (which is... anticompetitive.)

> If the executable was released by THEM, which is FREE TO ALL

It is not. And it won't ever be, because of the above motiviations.

-Greg