[plug] dead network

Bernard bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Oct 14 12:08:59 WST 2001

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 12:02:20AM +0800, connell wrote:
>      For some reason, the 2.2.19 kernels won't recognise that there is a
> network card installed.  So much for the obvious.  The two big questions
> are Why? and How do I get the 2.2.19 kernels to accept that there is a
> network card installed?  Any takers?

What is the network card? Did you compile the driver for it in the
kernel or as a module? If it's a module did you throw a line into
/etc/modules.conf or `modprobe' it?

If you examine the output of dmesg under the 2.4 kernel you can see
what driver it's using, then do likewise under the 2.4 kernel to see
if it's even there. Search for "eth0"... eg, mine shows:

tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99 becker at cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32 at 0xe400, 00:A0:CC:66:42:27, IRQ
10.
eth0:  MII transceiver #1 config 3000 status 7829 advertising 01e1.

So you'd need to make sure the tulip driver is in the 2.2 kernel.

Basically when you're compiling your kernel, you have to go to
"Network Device Support" and select your driver in there as module
or compiled in.

Regards,

Bernard.

--