[plug] Hardware: RAM questions

Simon Scott Simon.Scott at flexiplan.com
Mon Oct 15 11:16:02 WST 2001

	1) Yes, it should work.

	2) Yes, it should work better. With the recent quality of RAM, you
are better off buying ram one speed step up from what you will be running it
at. I read a recent report where they tested most major brands of ram and
came to the conclusion that running the ram at the advertised speed is
marginal at best. Some PC133 can only run at 120 or so. So buying 133 for
100 is perfect.

	3) No. You can never have enough physical RAM. However, be careful
with the swap settings, you can cause linux to swap unnecessarily if you
dont get it right (having too much swap seems to be the worst). Twice the
physical RAM seems to be a good yardstick, although with 2gig you might want
to reconsider and read up on this before choosing a swap partition size.

	4) Recently Ive come to the conclusion that all distros are pretty
much the same, and the administrator makes all the difference. Id avoid
Mandrake as a server OS though, but either redhat or debian would be a good
choice. The best way to do this stuff is to install only the base, and then
add packages as required. If you install everything it makes it so much
harder to administer. And anyone who installs X on a server should be shot.

	Beyond this, if you really want to increase the box's performance as
a web server (especially with dynamic stuff using postgres or mysql) maybe
you should consider implementing RAID of some form. You cant beat a good
disk subsystem with a sizable cache.

	Above all, have fun with it.