[plug] Hardware: RAM questions

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Oct 16 13:17:58 WST 2001

Steve Baker wrote:

>>1) Is it correct to assume that the 133Mhz RAM will work in this machine
>>
>(obviously > it will only run at the 100Mhz of the CPU - but will it work as
>well as effectively > as getting the normal 100MHz stuff?)
>
>No, it is not correct to assume that they will work.  Some people have
>responded that they have had no problem with this, but I did have some
>Compaq systems earlier this year that wanted PC100 RAM and refused to get
>boot with PC133 RAM installed.

Presumably they checked the SPID in the flash memory on the DIMM and
rather than looking for "pc100 or faster" they required "pc100" and so
spat the dummy. You might've been able to override the boot failure by
manually setting the RAM frequency in BIOS if that was the case, and if
the BIOS lets you.