[plug] Debian newbie question re:permissions

Simon Scott Simon.Scott at flexiplan.com
Tue Oct 16 10:59:47 WST 2001

	Add the user to the dialout group in /etc/groups

	From:	sol <solhanna at dingoblue.net.au> on 16/10/2001 11:02 AM
	Please respond to plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	To:	plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	cc:

	Subject:	[plug] Debian newbie question re:permissions

	I've just migrated from SuSE to Debian and am settling in to the
very
	different (from the rpm distros) world of .deb - and I like what I
see.
	But I'm having some teething difficulties of an elementary sort.

	One problem I haven't found a solution to in the manpages is with
pon. I
	set it up with pppconfig and went to run it and got a permission
denied
	for the modem which I promptly chmod'ed. Then I went to do this
again
	and I got this:
	/usr/sbin/pppd: Can't open options file /etc/ppp/options: Permission
denied

	So I tried chmod'ing this (to 711, then 744, then 777) and I'm still

	getting the same error. I'm a little confused because I thought that

	chmod was all that was needed to change permissions. I've also tried

	chown without success.
	ls -l /etc/ppp/options gets:
	-rwxrwxrwx    1 root    dialout    12872 Oct 14 17:38
/etc/ppp/options

	I'm running pon as root which isn't such a good thing and I'd like
	change it so that I can run pon as a regular user.

	thanks heaps,

	Sol

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com