[plug] Hardware: RAM questions

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Oct 16 13:07:33 WST 2001

>BTW, does the cache on a SCSI controller card make very much difference? It
>currently has 32Mb but is upgradable to 128Mb for less than AU$60... is it
>worth upgrading? (I would just include it with the system RAM order so
>postage costs won't be a prob.)

Varies. If you're doing only a couple of tasks at a time, there isn't
much point in increasing the cache. If, howerver, you have 20 users over
ethernet running netboot workstations... (thats me) yeah you want *lots*
of cache.
Basically, with that much RAM I wouldn't bother. Most of it'll be used
for disk cache anyway, and you are unlikely to be writing enough data to
disk to make write-back caching worth the (considerable) risks.