[plug] smbfs problems

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Oct 17 07:27:41 WST 2001

>Nah.. ls, and du both choke on them..

I've had a similar problem running Debian 2.2 (potato). Upgraded to sid
and a 2.4 kernel and it vanished. Since then I've only used smbmount
under kernel 2.4 which supports loadable charset modules.

        iocharset=<arg>
              sets the charset used by the Linux side  for  code­
              page to charset translations (NLS). Argument should
              be the name of a charset,  like  iso8859-1.  (Note:
              only kernel 2.4.0 or later)

I've never had an issue, though I always compile utf8 support into the
kernel (for this reason as much as anything).

So you could try upgrading to kernel 2.4.x and see if that helps. After
all, you can always go back.