[plug] smbfs problems

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Oct 16 15:32:30 WST 2001

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Brad Campbell wrote:

> G'day all
> I have put together a linux backup server to do cyclic backups of
> some NT machines I have here..
> I mount the shares using mount -t smbfs
> and back them up using tar.. Nice, simple and easy to control.. EXCEPT
> where some file/dir names have non ascii chars in them. The prime example
> being the (r) symbol. Linux seems to spit up when it encounters this in
> a filename, and just tells me the file/dir does not exist.
>
> The mount(8), smbmount(8) and smbmount-2.2.x(8) pages shed no light..
> How are people backing up NT boxes? Or should I just set fire to it now
> and replace it with a linux box..
> Actually, thats not quite possible yet, so I need to back it up..

I don't know if it would be any better but have you looked at
smbtar ....
-------
SMBTAR(1)                                               SMBTAR(1)

NAME
       smbtar  -  shell  script  for  backing  up SMB/CIFS shares
       directly to UNIX tape drives

SYNOPSIS
       smbtar -s server [ -p password ]  [ -x services ]  [ -X  ]
       [ -d directory ]  [ -u user ]  [ -t tape ]  [ -t tape ]  [
       -b blocksize ]  [ -N filename ]  [ -i ]   [  -r  ]   [  -l
       loglevel ]  [ -v ]  filenames

DESCRIPTION
       This tool is part of the  Sambasuite.

       smbtar is a very small shell script on top of smbclient(1)
       which dumps SMB shares directly to tape.
-------

You could also look at th "character set" Global smb.conf option.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */