[plug] Old 486 advice

Adrian Woodley AWoodley at IINet.net.au
Wed Oct 17 00:36:56 WST 2001

> Blackbox is an alternative, but not one I've tried personally. Some
> rave about it.

Yeah, I've used Blackbox and I rave about it! Its a very good, lean
interface, provided you don't mind it being a little unintelligent when
it comes to window placement and remembering things. Its easy to use,
fairly easy to configure and extremely lightweight - using no loaded
images at all. There are a couple of nice applets for it to display
memory usage, load, etc and depending on which theme you choose, it
looks quit nice. It also makes very good use of desktop space, something
you will notice on a 486 where you'll be lucky to run at 800x600

>> which kernel version would peopel sugest?
>>
> Your choice really. 2.2 comes with debian potato, and it doesn't like
> being upgraded to 2.4 much (you need to install your own modutils, etc
> - ick). If you go with debian, you can move to woody (the testing
> version, pretty stable since debian-testing tends to equate with
> everyone else's releases) and use a 2.4 kernel if you need netfilter
> etc. Of course netfilter uses more RAM because of its stateful
> connection tracking...

Theres a top bloke by the name of Adrian Bunk who's kindly provided a
set of 2.4 packages for potato allowing it to be upgraded fairly safely
and easily to a 2.4 kernel. I've had very good expiriences with this and
would like to take the opportunity to publicly prase Adrian on his top
effort.

Although this will be over your head if you're new to debian, you need
to add the line "deb http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian potato main"
to your /etc/apt/sources.list file. After that, the bunk packages will
be included everytime you add/remove/update your packages.

Regards,
Adrian Woodley