[plug] Old 486 advice

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Oct 17 08:16:20 WST 2001

On Wednesday 17 October 2001 07:44, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> How much RAM would you sugest to run X? if at all?

> 32MB for XFree86. I beleve there are "thinner" X implementations out
> there but I expect they'll cost, and if you had money you wouldn't be
> using a 486.

Er, if you're *only* running Linux and X, not the apps themselves, 8M is more
than enough for a thin WM. Most _video_cards_ come with at least 8M of their
own these days. (-:

Consider recompiling the kernel and X specifically for your machine, and
trimming out support for everything you don't use, such as alternate models
of your video card, firewalling/scsi/USB/etc kernel support, unwanted
services.

Cheers