[plug] MDK 8.1 Install Blues...

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 17 06:35:59 WST 2001

I have done installed 8.1 on two machines, a laptop which has lost
/dev/fd0 as per the original post, and a desktop which has funnies with
/dev/hda (an LS120) and /dev/fd0.  Funny but /dev hdd (a zip on the same
bus as a cdrw) appears ok, but I do not own a zip disk at the moment to
try mounting it, but the device is there!

Putting media in the LS120 during boot seems to kick devfs into seeing
it.  I notice that the system seems to test both the floppy and LS
drives during boot, so maybe if there is no media under some conditions,
devfs doesnt think they exist?

BillK