[plug] MDK 8.1 Install Blues...

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Oct 17 07:33:07 WST 2001

>>mount: /dev/fd0: unknown device
>>

>You can make the devices by hand with mknod of a MAKEDEV script if devfs is
>too dense to do it automagically.

However, I've never had devfs fail to create a node when needed. You're
likely to get a "no such device" error upon trying to access the
manually created node as the kernel hasn't the faintest what you're
talking about...

> I've run across this problem once only,
>where devfs didn't make /dev/ppp and fixed it (which in theory I don't have
>to do, but never mind) by doing a modprobe ppp before trying to run pppd
>itself.
>
>If this was Debian, devfs would still be in the testing tree. OTOH it has
>saved me having to manually make some dev nodes already.

I've been living on the bleeding edge kernel-wise for a good year or
more, adopted devfs with glee as soon as it made it into the vanilla
kernels. Never had an issue with it - but that doesn't mean its perfect.
I'll take anything that cleans up /dev a bit, though - and it makes
admin for my netboot workstations *infinitely* easier.