[plug] dead network

connell connellp at wantree.com.au
Wed Oct 17 19:32:01 WST 2001

  Thanks for your ongoing comments and suggestions.
  I have compared the dmesg from the 2.4 kernel to the dmesg from the
2.2 kernel and noticed two signicant differences.  In the 2.4 dmesg,
there are some lines about ISA-PNP after the PCI installation.  By
contrast, the 2.2 dmesg goes straight from PCI to NET.  Secondly, the
2.4 kernel installed the SMC-Ultra as irq=5 io_addr=0x240.  The 2.2
kernel is trying to instal it as irq=9 io_addr=0x300.
  It would appear the 2.2 kernel is unable to recognise this card as a
PNP card, even though I have the PNP option selected in make
menuconfig.  Unless someone can suggest a way to reactive this feature,
I guess I'll have to boot DOS and reset the card's parameters.

PaulC