[plug] dead network

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 19 17:06:22 WST 2001

>  It would appear the 2.2 kernel is unable to recognise this card as a
>PNP card, even though I have the PNP option selected in make
>menuconfig.  Unless someone can suggest a way to reactive this feature,
>I guess I'll have to boot DOS and reset the card's parameters.

Thats not really an ideal solution, as its just by chance/guesswork that
the kernel gets IRQ 5 if its misidentifying the card and/or its
parameters. You'd be better off building the NIC driver as a module, and
adding a line to /etc/modules.conf to provide explicit parameters and
avoid autodetection entirely.
    options <modulename> irq=<irq>
should help. Just add the module name to /etc/modules so it loads almost
immediately after init starts (well, early in /etc/rcS.d/* or
/etc/init.d/rc.sysinit, distro depending) and see if that helps.

For testing purposes, you can rmmod the driver module after bringing
down the interface, then modprobe to load it back in - but you can
specify arguments to the driver after the modprobe command, eg
    modprobe smcwhatevevermodule io=0x999 irq=5