[plug] Squid && Password Auth

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Oct 19 15:37:50 WST 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Jonathon Bates wrote:

> Hi guys,
> Just a quickie in regards to this. I have to setup password authentication
> for a proxy server. Now I can get this working, however I want to allow
> certain users access to certain sites. Im using NCSA auth.
> So lets say I log in with user batesy, I want to access everything.
> But say user lilbro isn't allowd to access everything, he is only allowed
> to access hotmail and a few other selected sites. Now I cant figure out
> how to do this. I can stop all users from accessing certain sites, but
> not individual users.

<== http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html ==>
23.2 How do I use authentication in access controls?

Make sure that your authentication program is installed and working correctly.
You can test it by hand.

Add some proxy_auth ACL entries to your squid configuration. For example:

acl foo proxy_auth REQUIRED
acl all src 0/0
http_access allow foo
http_access deny all

The REQURIED term means that any authenticated user will match the ACL named
foo.

Squid allows you to provide fine-grained controls by specifying individual
user names. For example:

acl foo proxy_auth REQUIRED
acl bar proxy_auth lisa sarah frank joe
acl daytime time 08:00-17:00
acl all src 0/0
http_access allow bar
http_access allow foo daytime
http_access deny all

In this example, users named lisa, sarah, joe, and frank are allowed to use
the proxy at all times. Other users are allowed only during daytime hours.
<====>

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein