[plug] Australian rsync mirror addresses for Debian Woody pls

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Oct 19 15:39:02 WST 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Daniel wrote:

> Hi Plug, I wonder if someone could help me with some Australian rsync
> mirror sites for Woody please.
> I have an old set of Woody cds and would like to update them with rsync.
> I have looked at the information on querying an rsync server to try to find
> the correct directory and file locations, but can't figure that out.

If you don't specify a target location (local directory) for rsync, it
will show the list of remote files but not download them.

So, to find out what directories the rsync mirror on mirror.aarnet.edu.au
contains, you would run:

 rsync mirror.aarnet.edu.au::

which shows the list of projects (directories) that aarnet has available,
including "debian"

Next, run the command:

rsync mirror.aarnet.edu.au::debian/

which shows a dir listing of the debian directory. You can see that it is
very similar to the usual debian ftp directory, so you can try using the
usual path you would take to get to woody:

mirror.aarnet.edu.au::debian/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/

And you will see it lists the usual debian subdirectories..

You can then rsync those directories to your local tree by using a command
such as:

rsync -avz  mirror.aarnet.edu.au::debian/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/ .

See the rsync manpage for other parameters you can use.

 - Matt