[plug] For anyone following that RAM speed debate...

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 19 17:56:01 WST 2001

For a laugh, check out ctspd from ct' Magazine. It views the SPD and
eeprom contents in a meaningful manner. (Purist Warning - it's a Win32
Program)

While browsing through you're el-cheapo and some expensive stuff, see how
many of them *fail* the SPD or eeprom CRC. Apple had so many problems with
this, that the latest EEPROM for "pretty" Macs will not boot at all with
memory that fails this simple check. Apple figured that the bulk of their
tech support and returns were from dodgey third party RAM. The fix was
stop the dodgey stuff from working at all... period!

There's a lot to be said for people publicly naming & shaming memory
companies that frequently produce technically *bad* RAM...

As for flashing them? You'd best look for the serious dough required from
SDRAM EEPROM flashers. Friend in the business "rebadges" memory by
reprogging the stick and putting his sticker over the top. Because the
EEPROM is done right, the memory and motherboard come to a better
understanding and the RAM performs better / is more stable. He wouldn't
tell me the cost, but he when asked $5K his reply was "And then??"

Regards,

Craig Foster