[plug] Babbage (was: What was your first computer?)

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Sat Oct 20 21:12:49 WST 2001

"Harry McNally" <harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au> wrote:

> Thanks Michael
>
> You reminded me I have to dig out a heap of photos and get them up on the
web.

Having taught computer science classes to High School students for the past
year I have brushed up on some of my computer history facts and taken a
renewed intrest in what it has taken for us to get where we are today.
Technically speaking we may not learn how to write better C code by studying
computer history, but we can learn maybe how to be better developers and
think bigger and outside of  our current boxes.

> Jacqueline, me and another bloke formed a threesome and joined the New
> Scientist "History of Science Tour" last year hosted by Robyn Williams.
>
> The Science Museum in London has a recently constructed copy of Babbages
> (never completed) Difference Engine No. 2 (There is an Australian
> connection in this recreation if you investigate). At the time we were
> there they were bolting on the printer.

The connection wouldn't have anything to do with the Power House museum
owning Difference Engine No. 1 ???. (Link below)

http://www.phm.gov.au/scripts/webdbs/opac.idc?id=295

http://www.decisions-and-designs.com.au/images/sciencetour/engine_large.jpg

> And here he is heading into Rome:
> http://www.decisions-and-designs.com.au/images/sciencetour/flight.jpg
>
> I'll get some more pictures up RSN
> Harry

Cool. Look forward to seeing some more. Maybe as a result of the 10th
Birthday of Linux we should hold a PLUG discussion on its History.