[plug] Debian Newbie

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon Oct 22 23:40:16 WST 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 10:27:34PM +0800, Matthew Schubert wrote:
> I finally got a debian box up and running (Progeny Debian 1.0). I have a
> number of questions to ask that have stumped me.

As craig said impecable timing, you're probably better off with pure
Debian. Thats what Progency has now decided...

> 1. I want to install PHP 4.0.3, but it has some strange dependancies. It
> says it needs:
> apache-common (>= 1.3.9) but also says:
> apache-common (<< 1.3.9.1)

Current *woody* (unstable) says the dependencies are, for version 4.0.99-2:

Depends: libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.2.4-2), libdb2 (>= 2:2.7.7-4), libexpat1 (>= 1.95.2-2), libmm11, libpam0g (>= 0.72-1), libpcre3, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.3), mime-support (>= 2.03-1), apache-common (>= 1.3.22), apache-common (<< 1.3.22.1), fileutils (>= 4.0-5)

> I'm stumped. I have apache-common 1.3.20-1

And unstable is now on 1.3.22. But that's unstable, and there is no
corresponding mod_perl, mod_ssl, etc packages for it yet. Happily,
libapache-mod-backhand doesn't mind, I don't think... ;)

> 2. I have the mozilla (0.9.1) browser installed. I want to use flash and
> java in it. I have downloaded and installed Java Runtime Environment for
> Linux and Shockwave Flash Player for Netscape 6 (There isn't one for
> mozilla). when i type about:plugins in the url bar, only the default
> plugin is listed (plugin.so).

Go to www.google.com, type in the question. Its a case of copying the flash
plugin into the plugins directory, and I think it "just works" then. Anyway,
for a cool mozilla, "apt-get install mozilla-cvs". It updates from CVS every
few days.

> 3. I like to have any mounted cds, other partitions under /mnt. I have
> edited my /etc/fstab to the correct paths and i can mount all of my
> disks uner these folders. apt-cdrom will not realise that my cdrom is
> mounted under /mnt/cdrom and continues to try and mount /cdrom. Because
> of this, i put a symlink from /cdrom to /mnt/cdrom, but every time i
> reboot my computer, Linux puts three folders in the root directory,
> (cdrom, cdrom1, cdrom2). I have two cdroms, but i would like to get rid
> of these folders permanently without the coming back, and somehow fix
> apt-cdrom to use /mnt/cdrom and/org /mnt/cdrom2. I know I can force
> apt-cdrom to use a specific mount point from the commandline, but i
> would rather not have to.

*Shrug*
Never used it. I havent seen these folders appear, and i have two CD drives
(one a CD-RW) and have never had these magically appear for me (on Debian,
not Progency).

> 4. I always seem to be getting myself into fixes with dselect, and end
> up having it prompt me to select 100s of  packages and downloading
> heaps. Is there anyway to reset dselect to the list of current packages
> installed on the system. It would be a bit easier than manually going
> through and editing /usr/lib/dpkg/status ....and if i just rename
> status-old to status, will it go back to my old status (before i mucked up).

APT. Dselect is, IMHO, a little clunky to use. Others disagree with me, and
thats fine, its all a question of choice. Read "man apt-get" and
"man apt-cache". Of course, I am assuming this is available on Progency...

  James
--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to

 Remainder moved to http://www.james.rcpt.to/james/sig.html