[plug] staroffice 6.0 beta local mirror

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Wed Oct 24 16:19:28 WST 2001

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 03:20:25PM +0800, Andrew Francis wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Peter Wright wrote:
[ ... ]
> > I suspect either you may be misunderstanding something or... well,
> > someone else is... :)
>
> Copied and pasted from the beta 6.0 license on Sun's site:
[ snip license extract ]
> And from the 5.2 download page:
[ snip extract ]
> Seems pretty clear to me :)

Hmm. Yeah. Does, doesn't it?

> > ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/staroffice/6.0beta
>
> I'd conjecture it's an "official" mirror of some sorts.

Quite possibly, yes.

> > Admittedly not local, but unless a local mirror decides to volunteer
> > themselves, probably the best available.
>
> I hear that comindico is going to peer with WAIX soon.
>
> (That will make planetmirror local *smacks lips* :)

Ooooooh. Cue drool.

Do you have any idea what "soon" evaluates to?

> soon
eval: unbound variable: soon

> > It would seem _very_ strange that Sun would be putting artificial
> > distribution restrictions such as you suggest in the license, though.
>
> I agree that it's counterintuitive, and I wish they'd stop doing it.

Now that I know they're doing it, I agree with you. :-/

Thankfully that won't affect OpenOffice, but I think most
corporate/business types would prefer to use StarOffice (rather than
OpenOffice) if they use a non-MS office suite at all, and anything that
might discourage people from trying out StarOffice (even if it's something
as minor as a lack of a "local" download source) is a Bad Thing(tm).

> Andrew Francis

Hmmm. Wish I had a few more gigabytes of disk space so I could actually try
building OpenOffice from source - it looks like a lot of fun *roll of
eyes*. :)

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
Documentation is the castor oil of programming.
Managers know it must be good because the programmers hate it so much.