[plug] staroffice 6.0 beta local mirror

Andrew Francis locust at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 24 15:20:25 WST 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Peter Wright wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 01:27:09PM +0800, Andrew Francis wrote:
> > so a non-official mirror's out of the question anyway (well, UWA would be
> > allowed to offer a mirror accessible from UWA only, for instance, but
> > they wouldn't be allowed to offer that mirror to anyone outside of UWA).
>
> I suspect either you may be misunderstanding something or... well, someone
> else is... :)

Copied and pasted from the beta 6.0 license on Sun's site:
    2.0 LIMITED LICENSE Sun Microsystems, Inc.  grants to
    Licensee, a non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free
    and limited license to use Licensed Software internally for
    the purposes of evaluation only.  No license is granted to
    Licensee for any other purpose.  Licensee may not sell,
    rent, loan or otherwise encumber or transfer Licensed
    Software in whole or in part, to any third party.

    3.0 LICENSE RESTRICTIONS 3.1 Licensee may not duplicate
    Licensed Software other than for a single copy of Licensed
    Software for archival purposes only.

And from the 5.2 download page:
    Internal-Only Use
      You may freely install StarOffice[tm] software on multiple computers
      within your own INTERNAL organization (or school.)

Seems pretty clear to me :)

> ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/staroffice/6.0beta

I'd conjecture it's an "official" mirror of some sorts.

> Admittedly not local, but unless a local mirror decides to volunteer
> themselves, probably the best available.

I hear that comindico is going to peer with WAIX soon.

(That will make planetmirror local *smacks lips* :)

> It would seem _very_ strange that Sun would be putting artificial
> distribution restrictions such as you suggest in the license, though.

I agree that it's counterintuitive, and I wish they'd stop doing it.

--
Andrew Francis
locust at iinet.net.au