[plug] TTYs

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Oct 26 10:06:07 WST 2001

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 locutus at borg.apana.org.au wrote:

> Is there a way that I can watch what's happening  on  another TTY
> without switching from my current one?
>
> For instance, if there's a process running on tty01, is there a way I
> can see what it's doing (actual output, NOT process info) from tty05?

man screen.

It won't let you do exactly waht you want BUT you can run applications within
screen and "deatch" them come back many hours later and "reattach" them.
It allows you to run upto 10 "ttys" within one tty.

Which means on a standard linux box you can get 10 tty's going.
under X you can get up to 256 (kernel upper limit)

Have fun.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein