[plug] TTYs

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Oct 26 21:37:05 WST 2001

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 locutus at borg.apana.org.au wrote:
[...]
> For instance, if there's a process running on tty01, is there a way I
> can see what it's doing (actual output, NOT process info) from tty05?

What you might want is "cat /dev/vcs0" and so on...

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 10:06:07AM +0800, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
[try screen]
[screen lets you have 10 ptys]
[you can have up to 256 total ptys]

screen's very useful - try it.

You can go beyond both of those numbers, but >10 screens makes it
inconvenient to move between them, and >256 ptys requires recompiling
your kernel - see "Unix98 PTY support".

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal