[plug] X freezes,

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Tue Oct 30 09:28:32 WST 2001

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 08:36:50AM +0800, Rob Dunne wrote:
> Hi list,
>          well I found the solution.
> the solution
> It was always the same screensaver!
[ ... ]
> That is a pretty mean sceen saver that kills a machine!!

Was it an OpenGL screensaver? (and did the other conditions apply as I
mentioned in my previous email?)

If so, it is likely to be a known problem with the Nvidia driver and Nvidia
hardware. When the machine is under load, it will sometimes lock up X just
as you describe above.

Although it may be that more RAM alleviates the problem - I used to have it
happen moderately frequently on my main machine (dualCPU Celeron 500, 128
meg RAM, GeForce2) to such an extent that I rarely got an uptime of more
than a week. Since upping to 512M RAM recently, I haven't had it lock up
yet - uptime over 2 weeks now.

>  Rob Dunne         Fax: +61 8 9333 6121     Tel: +61 8 9333 6178

Again, if you are using Nvidia video hardware and driver, there is a more
permanent solution. If you don't _need_ the 3d acceleration, stop using the
Nvidia XFree86 driver. Use the open-source 'nv' driver as provided with
XFree86 instead - you won't get 3d, but you won't have the freezing/locking
problem either.

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
Klingon programmer sayings:
4. "I have challenged the entire quality assurance team to a