[plug] [OT] Ferral Politics

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Oct 30 10:52:20 WST 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, skribe wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:35, Ben Jensz wrote:
>
> > I think the seat of Kalgoorlie is ridiculous, it includes towns as far
> > south as Esperance and as far north as Wyndum.
>
> Do you have a better alternative suggestion?

Simple.

Scrap the state and territory parliaments - they don't accomplish much,
anyway, and their existence just causes demarcation disputes and
rivalry. They are also a hangover from the colonies, and, still function
as separate colonies.

Then, have a single "national" parliament, with only one house, and, have
electorates with something like 20,000 electors, or whatever the average
state/territory electorate now has, and that would cut the number of
members of parliament in australia, above local government levels, from
about 1200 at present, to about 550.

It would save the country a fortune, and make it more democratic (yes, one
day, australia may become democratic), and reduce the wastage due to
state/federal demarcation disputes and interstate rivalry.

It may even cause australia to become a nation, or, be a significant
step on the way...

--
Bret Busby