[plug] [OT] Ferral Politics

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Tue Oct 30 11:00:57 WST 2001

> > I think the seat of Kalgoorlie is ridiculous, it includes towns as far
> > south as Esperance and as far north as Wyndum.

> Do you have a better alternative suggestion?

Well to serve the people in the seat properly, it'd be better if it was
split into two.  Pretty much between the Pilbara and the Gascoyne areas.

I mean the seat is such that a politician wouldn't be able to address the
issues across the entire electorate if they tried.  The areas that the
electorate cover are so vastly different, so how can you represent the views
of the people properly?

Isn't that the whole point of electing someone into parliament?  To bring to
the table the views, ideas, issues and thoughts of the people that they are
supposed to be representing.

> <My RANT />
>
> Regarding the cynicism toward our political system.  Our system could be a
> lot worse.

Our system could be worse, I agree that its better than some, but its still
not perfect.  But just because our system is better than others, why should
that stop us from improving ours even more?

Our system might be comparatively good, but it could be better.  In
comparison to how good it could be, its not all that good.  Depends which
way you are comparing it :)

One other interesting thing that not many people have realised, is that if
the ALP get in to federal government, then I think they have state level
government in almost all of the states, which means changing the
constitution could be achieved quite easily.  You only need the support of
the states, not the territories in changing the constitution.  Whether they
would do anything with that power, and whether that'd be a good thing or a
bad thing would have to be seen.

Lets hope if the ALP are throwing words around like "Linux" and "Apache",
they understand what they mean and don't make any uninformed decisions that
will make things worse.

/ Ben