[plug] X freezes,

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Tue Oct 30 13:20:43 WST 2001

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:10:08PM +0800, Christian wrote:
> > Well, some screensavers can be a little bit dicey - they do take
> > complete control of the display, so it's quite possible that if they
> > stuff up it could make your display inaccessible.
>
> They don't, do they?  They just occupy the entire screen but the X
> server is still in charge of the display... right?

That's right.  xscreensaver just opens a new root window that fills the
entire screen and allows the actual screensaver you're running access to
it.  A screensaver shouldn't be able to do anything nasty to your X
server (although my latest seems to be great at finding a bug in
XFree4.1.0 that crashes the entire server).

> Are they the same mob that make the 3D Labs Permedia 2?  If so, the
> makers of our video cards are the same.  Possibly using the same X
> driver and resulting in the same bugs?

I have found that the Permedia chipsets are all annoyingly buggy, even
under Windoze.  They tend to break just about everything.

Might I suggest getting a new 3D card?  :)

--
 Leon Blackwell                | A jury consists of twelve persons
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | chosen to decide who has the better